CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – Mayor Joe Pitts has announced the process he and the City Council will use to prepare and approve the City’s 2020 budget.
Mayor Pitts has begun building the budget he will present in May by meeting regularly with Laurie Matta, Chief Financial Officer, and department leadership teams to understand the City’s financial position and projected departmental needs.
He also has outlined a way for the City Council to be involved earlier in the budget process.
“I have asked the City Council, through its system of standing committees, to review preliminary department budgets in a series of meetings with department leaders,” Mayor Pitts said. “This reflects the strong collaborative relationships we have with City Council members, and the renewed attention we’ve been giving to the Council’s committee process.”
Here is the schedule of the Council Committee budget review sessions, which will be in the City Hall 4th Floor Conference Room:
- Finance Committee, 9 a.m. to noon, Thursday, May 2.
- Public Safety Committee, 1:30-4:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 7.
- Parks & Recreation Committee, 8:30-10 a.m., Wednesday, May 8.
- Streets & Garage Committee, 10 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, May 8.
- Housing & Community Development, 1:30-3 p.m., Wednesday, May 8.
- Transportation Committee, 3-4:30 p.m, Wednesday, May 8.
- Gas & Water Committee, 8-10 a.m., Thursday, May 9.
After those sessions, the Mayor will present his proposed 2020 budget to the City Council, followed by presentation to the public and media at a news conference at 11 a.m. on May 23.
Then the proposed budget will be analyzed during a series of City Council budget work sessions, followed by separate meetings for a public hearing, first reading and a final vote, all in the Council Chambers, according to this schedule:
- Council Work Session, 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 29.
- Council Work Session, 4:30 p.m., Thursday, June 6.
- Council Work Session (if needed), 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 12.
- Special Session, Public Hearing and First Reading, 4:30 p.m., Thursday, June, 13.
- Special Session, Second Reading and Final Vote, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 20.
All meetings are open to the public. Any changes to the schedule will be noted on the City’s online calendar at www.cityofclarksville.com.