Grinder Pump Low Pressure Sewer System Care
This information is for grinder pumps installed by Clarksville Gas and Water Department only. To find out if your pump is covered by this policy call 931-553-2424.
Your home is equipped with a grinder pump that takes the wastewater from your home and pumps it into the City's wastewater system. Special care is needed with this type of pumping system. Provided are listed the responsibilities of each party in the care and maintenance of this pumping system.
- Not to use the grinder pump unit to pump water from any other source, i.e. sump pump, yard drainage, etc.
- To allow the City access at all times for repair and maintenance of the grinder pump unit and force main line running from the unit to the City's sewer main.
- The following items should not be introduced into any sewer either directly or through a kitchen waste disposal unit:
- Plastic Objects (Toys, Utensils, etc.)
- Rags or Cloth
- Sanitary Napkins or Tampons
- Seafood Shells
- In addition, you must never introduce into any sewer:
- Flammable Material
- Lubricating Oil and/or Grease
- Strong Chemicals
The City's Responsibilities
- To provide a replacement grinder pump unit as may be needed from time to time at no cost to the homeowner, when replacement is necessitated due to ordinary wear, tear and deterioration of the unit. (The cost of any replacement or repair to the existing unit necessitated by negligent acts of the homeowner or other persons at the home of placing inappropriate material into the pump shall be incurred at the homeowner's full expense.)
- To provide, at no cost to the homeowner, at least one routine annual inspection of the grinder pump unit and force main to ensure that the system is working properly.
- To provide, at no cost to the homeowner, any and all repairs that may be required to keep the grinder pump unit in operation on a 24-hour/7-day a week basis.
If you experience a problem with your system please contact us at (931) 553-2424 between 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays and at (931) 645-0116 or (931) 624-9761 nights, weekends and holidays.